Aquaculture Management (SCQF level 9) SVQ
What is special about this course?
This SVQ has been designed in partnership with the Sector Skills Council, Lantra, and in response to the aquaculture industry requirements for work-based management training. The programme is offered, and assessment carried out, in the workplace, minimising any need to be away from work.
The qualification covers areas such as managing the aquatic production environment for farmed fish/shellfish, and managing the production of farmed fish/shellfish for sale or transfer. It also covers: planning and managing of shellfish depuration operations; implementation of the site fish health plan; fish/shellfish hatchery production; and a variety of operational and managerial units.
The university, through NAFC Marine Centre UHI and Argyll College UHI, is the only institution offering the SVQ4 Aquaculture Management.
- Flexible learning: you will learn through work-based and online study to fit in with your work commitments
- In two years, you will complete an industry-recognised management qualification
- Modern Apprenticeships, certified by LANTRA and funded through Skills Development Scotland, are also available through NAFC Marine Centre UHI; contact NAFC for more details
- The qualification is aimed at the freshwater and marine salmonid industry
- You will ideally be in a supervisory or management position or in training to be a supervisor or manager in the aquaculture industry
- SVQ Aquaculture level 2 and 3, and/or industry-relevant short courses, would be advantageous
Year 1 - SVQ
Mandatory units are:
- Manage the aquatic production environment for farmed fish/shellfish
- Manage the production of farmed fish/shellfish
You will also choose four option modules:
- Plan and manage fish feeding regimes
- Develop and manage implementation of site fish health plan
- Manage containment on a fish farm
- Provide healthy, safe, secure and productive working environment and practices
- Plan and manage fish/shellfish hatchery production
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (structured)
- You will learn through work-based and online study to fit in with your work commitments
- You will be assessed by standardised SQA procedures including written theory, practical demonstrations, oral interviews and product evidence
How long will my course last?
- Part-time (structured): Flexible, up to 2 years
Where can I study my course?
- Argyll College UHI
- NAFC Marine Centre UHI
For information on costs of this course please contact the college at which you wish to study.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Once you have successfully completed this course, you might like to consider careers in the finfish aquaculture industry such as aquaculture site manager.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Aquaculture Management (SCQF level 9) SVQ
The SVQ Aquaculture Management SCQF level 9 has flexible start dates throughout the year.
For more information and to apply, please contact NAFC Marine Centre UHI on 01595 772000.
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at the University of the Highlands and Islands. We operate a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of gender, age, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.