University Staff Development Fund
During each academic year, the staff development fund review panel considers around 70 applications and approves contributions towards over 50 colleagues undertaking accredited programmes of study including the university’s taught education programmes. These contributions support colleagues in academic partner colleges and executive office and include funding for doctorates, masters, post and undergraduate programmes.
Accredited programmes of study add significant value for both the individual and their wider teams and departments. Feedback and evaluation highlight the value of supporting colleagues through the MEd Tertiary and Higher Education and MEd Digital Pedagogy and how this can play a key role in developing learning and teaching expertise across the university.
Many recipients of the staff development fund continue their professional development by seeking professional recognition through the university’s framework for the recognition of excellent practice in learning and teaching, ALPINE. Others join the University Mentoring Scheme as mentors or mentees to further develop their professional practice.
Application submission dates for 2023/24
Applications to the fund will be considered by the Staff Development Fund Review panel which meets regularly throughout the academic year. Panel members are drawn from across the university and have experience in professional development, accredited programmes of study and staff development.
Application submission deadlines for 2023-24
- Wednesday 6th September 2023
- Wednesday 4th October 2023
- Wednesday 8th November 2023
- Wednesday 24th January 2024
- Wednesday 13th March 2024
- Wednesday 8th May 2024
Applying for funding
- Check eligibility The Staff Development Fund is open to colleagues who are currently teaching and/or supporting higher education students. This focus recognises that academic partner colleges have responsibility for staff development activities for colleagues teaching and supporting further education students. Currently, the staff development fund does not contribute to the cost of mandatory TQFE qualifications. Applications to the fund are considered by a review panel made up of staff development colleagues from across the university. The panel meets regularly throughout the academic year.
- Complete an application form For more information, download the Staff Development Fund guide. This guide includes information on the aim of the fund, the levels of funding support provided; the authorisation process and guidance on completing the appropriate forms. Forms can be downloaded from the links below.
- Seek approval before submission For colleagues in academic partner colleges, applications are approved by line managers and then approved by the staff development officer or those with responsibility for staff development. For colleagues in executive office, applications are approved directly by line managers. Once approved, applications go forward to the Staff Development Review Panel.
Reflections from fund recipients
The fund makes valuable contributions to professional development programmes of study. Past recipients have said:
“The completion of this programme of study will enhance my ability to lead learning and to lead on improvements in my assigned curricular area”.
"Study of the relevant legislation has helped me to understand the 'why' of our policies and practices”
“By completing this course, I feel more competent in the choices I make for which teaching materials I plan to use. I plan the structure of the courses I teach better and have a deeper understanding of the skills involved in research and analysis.”
For colleagues applying for initial funding support for an accredited programme of study.
SD1- Level 12
For colleagues applying for initial funding support for an SCQF level 12 programme of study, e.g. PhD or DEd.
For colleagues, applying for continuation of funding for the same programme of study (at any level)