Dr Simon Clarke
Shetland College UHI
tel: +44 (0)1595 771278
Available to talk to the media about
- Videoconference Teaching
In these languagesEnglish
Simon Clarke is a senior lecturer in archaeology, based in Shetland College UHI. He obtain a first class honours in Archaeological Sciences at Bradford University before completing a PhD on Iron Age and Roman settlement archaeology of SW of England.
He has taken part in both research and rescue excavation and survey throughout Britain, Europe and North Africa; notable highlights including the Roman cities of Pompeii (Italy) and Leptis Minus (Tunisia), The Roman forts of Nijmegan (Netherlands), Binchester (Co Durham)and Newstead (Borders) and the Iron Age settlements of Lingcoft Farm (Yorkshire), Scatness Broch (Shetland) and Birnie (Moray).
Since joining Shetland College UHI in 1998, he has been using videoconferencing alongside virtual learning environments to support distributed cohorts of students enrolled on networked degree programmes across the partnership.
- Ritual deposition in Roman Well contexts
- Phenomenological approaches to Shetland prehistoric Landscapes
- The use of video conferencing to support distributed student cohorts
Research groups and interests
- Landscape archaeology
- Heritage management including visual impact
- Cross cultural encounter and interaction
- Structured deposition (ritual)
- Social interpretation from architectural evidence
- Pedagogue particularly in association with video conferencing and virtual learning environments
- Clarke (Forthcoming 2015) "Student Perception of Learning and Teaching by VC" Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice
- Clarke, S. and Renwick, E. (2013) "A Processional but not Processual Approach to Stanydale Neolithic Temple" Experimental Archaeology, TAG 2009 Session Papers
- Clarke, S. (2013) “Dere Street and the Roads Around Newstead Roman Military Complex”, in Hunter, F. (ed) New Perspectives on Roman Military Complex at Newstead. National Museums of Scotland Publishing.
- Clarke, S. and Robinson, D. (2011) “Chapter 4 Geophysical survey” in N. Ben Lazreg, D.J. Mattingley and D Stone (eds) Leptiminous (Lamta): A Roman port City in Tunisia Report 3; 83-112
- S. Clarke 2010 Videoconferencing in HE” Viewfinder Magazine, BUFV
- S. Clarke 2009 “Integrating Synchronous and Asynchronous e-learning into a UHI House Style” UHI e-Learning Seminar
- S. Clarke 2009 “Crossing to the Other Side: representing the journey of life in Neolithic Shetland”, TAG 31 University of Durham
- S. Clarke and E. Renwick 2009 “A Processional but not Processual Approach to Stanydale Neolithic Temple” TAG 31 University of Durham
- S. Clarke 2009 “Wells and Ritual Deposition at the Newstead Roman Military Complex”, Roman Limes Congress 19-22 August 2009, University of Newcastle.
- S. Clarke 2009 “Using Blackboard for Student Module Evaluation”, UHI Arts and Social Sciences Faculty Conference, 14th May 2009
- S. Clarke 2009 “Balancing environmental and cultural impact against the strategic need for wind power” International Journal of Heritage Studies Vol. 15, Nos. 2–3, March–May 2009, pp. 173–189
- S. Clarke 2009 “Using Video Conference to Teach in HE”, in M. Houston (ed) The Teaching Research Interface: Implications for Practice in HE and FE. The Higher Education Academy / ESCalate, Bristol pp 12 – 17.
- S. Clarke 2008 “Identifying the actors and motivations behind pit Deposition at the Trimontium Military Complex (Newstead)”, Theoretical Archaeology Group 30 Conference, Southampton. 15th – 17th December 2008.
- S. Clarke 2008 “Habitus, houses and huts in Celtic and Roman Britain: An Examination of social attitudes through the language and materiality of architecture”, Theoretical Archaeology Group 30 Conference, Southampton. 15th – 17th December 2008.
- S. Clarke 2008 “Blended Learning Using VC and VLE Across Multiple Campuses”, University of West Scotland Staff Conference 19th June 2008, Paisley.
- S. Clarke 2007 “Balancing Environmental and Cultural Impact against the Strategic Need For Wind Power” Heritage and the Environment Conference 19th - 23rd June SMO, Skye / Glasgow Caledonian University.
- S. Clarke 2007 “E-learning at Shetland College”, E-Activity in Scotland’s Colleges Review Seminar, 18th May, the SFEU Stirling.
- S. Clarke 2005 “Whose Heritage; A View from the Periphery of the Profession and of the Country” , Crossing Frontiers Conference 25th and 26th June 2005 Oxford University
- S. Clarke 2002 "Newstead West Annexe", Proceedings of the Society of Antiquities, Scotland (2000) No 130: 457-468.
- S. Clarke 2001 "Probably Ritual: Assemblage Interpretation at Newstead", in A. Smith and A Brookes ed. Ritual Space (BAR International series vol 956) Archeopress, Oxford. pp 73-84.
- S. Clarke and A. Wise 2001 "Extramural Settlement to the North of Newstead Roman Fort, Scottish Borders" Proceedings of the Society of Antiquities, Scotland (1999) No. 129: 373-392.
- S. Clarke 2000 "In Search of a Different Roman Period", in G Fincham, G. Harison, R. Holland and L. Revell, (ed) TRAC99: Proceedings of the Ninth Conference at Durham 1999 Oxbow Books , Oxford. pp 22-29.