How do I tell the university?


There is a student support contact at each UHI partner

Before applying

Contact support services staff at the UHI academic partner you are thinking about studying with and make an appointment to discuss your support requirements at any point prior to applying.

When applying

Complete the disability declaration on your application form. This will alert staff to contact you to discuss the best support package for you and have as much in place as possible for your start date.

At interview

You will have an opportunity to discuss your needs with academic partner support services staff.

When enrolling

Complete the disability declaration on your enrolment form.

During your studies

Inform us at any time during your studies by telling a tutor from your programme team, your Personal Academic Tutor or a member of student support services staff at your academic partner. The sooner you tell us the better, so that appropriate support can be put in place as soon as possible.

What will happen when you tell us?

Once you have disclosed a disability or additional support need, support services staff at your academic partner will make follow-up contact with you as appropriate, and begin the process of putting together a support plan as necessary.

In discussion with support services staff at your academic partner, you will provide information about your needs, previous support arrangements you may have used and anticipated support needs while studying with us. This discussion will enable services staff to recommend a support plan for you and inform relevant staff of these arrangements.

Your support plan will be reviewed at least once during the academic session. Depending on your specific needs, the support arrangements you require and your mode of attendance you may be advised to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance.

For students resident in Scotland, an application form for DSA can be obtained from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland or by calling SAAS on 0300 555 0505. Further advice and support with DSA applications is available from student support services staff at your academic partner.

Disclosure and confidentiality

Any information you provide will be treated sensitively, in accordance with our needs assessment privacy notice, and will only be used for your potential benefit. Relevant members of staff will need to know what adjustments they should make for you, in order that you can appropriately supported during your studies. They are not entitled to know the reasons for these adjustments unless you choose to inform them. Choosing not to disclose a disability or additional support need may have an impact on the support available to you.