Estranged Students


Who are Estranged Students?

If you are irreconcilably estranged from both of your biological or adoptive parents, or only living parent, then you would be considered an estranged student (Stand Alone definition).

Scottish Government have also approved the definition as; An estranged person is someone who no longer has contact with their parents or legal guardians, due to a permanent breakdown in their relationship (isolated instances of contact will be considered on a case by case basis, with regard to funding).

Please read our Privacy Notice for further information on how your data will be handled by the university.

Why Estranged Students may need more support at university content

Why Estranged Students may need more support at university

Why Estranged Students may need more support at university

University can be daunting for any student, but if you do not necessarily have common support structures at home to help you, this can add extra presssure.

If you let us know you are estranged and we can offer assistance to support you through your time at university. This includes providing guidance, emotional support, and a range of other things in between.

Additional Support content

Additional Support

Additional Support

If you receive your funding from SAAS and are estranged, you will be eligible for additional support. Find out more about your loan entitlement, plus details of the Estranged Students' Bursary (ESB).

You may find that you don’t think you need any support at first but if things change and you find you are struggling with your studies then you should not hesitate to go along to your local support services team who will be able to help you with a range of issues.

UHI is committed to providing all our students with a positive experience whilst they are studying with us and to offering the support and opportunities that help them fulfil their potential.

As an institution we have signed the Stand Alone Pledge, which commits us to supporting students studying without the support or approval of a family network. Access our Pledge letter.

When you have completed your journey with us and are ready to graduate, you may require additional support with the costs associated with attending the ceremony at your college. UHI and its academic partners provide a Graduation Bursary for estranged students which can help with fees, gown hire, photographs, and travel/accommodation. Contact local student services staff for more information and details of how to apply.

In addition, you may find it useful to access the Essential Student Skills online resource. These interactive guidance materials were created to introduce students to various aspects of learning, including Using Technologies, Becoming an Effective Learner, Core Skills, Assessment, and more. There is no prescribed route through the resources, nor is there a specific timeframe for their completion, and all you will need to access them is an internet connection.

We also have a wide range of mental health support.

Useful Links content

Useful Links

Useful Links

  • Stand Alone are a UK charity supporting people that are estranged.
  • UCAS have information about the financial support available for estranged students.
  • Mind are a charity providing advice and support to anyone experiencing a mental health problem.
  • This is Us Community - a free student-led community providing a safe online space for estranged and care experienced students in the UK to connect and share
  • EaCES Handbook - created by Estranged and Care Experienced students, the handbook is a free UCAS-recognised resource full of peer advice and information