Education, child and youth studies
Are you passionate about improving the lives of children and young people?
Study at UHI for a successful and rewarding career working in education and childcare.
We offer a wide range of postgraduate courses across the education and youth studies sectors.
There are fascinating options whether you are interested in working in developing skills with young people or teaching in schools, colleges or universities.
- Children and Young People’s Participation and Leadership
- Critical Enquiry
- Digital Pedagogy
- Gaelic Education (Foghlam Gàidhlig)
- Outdoor and Adventure Therapeutic Practice
- Primary teaching - English or Gaelic
- Research Methods
- Secondary teaching - English or Gaelic
- Specialist Qualification in Headship (and Educational Leadership)
- Teaching Qualification Further Education
- Tertiary and Higher Education
Pathways to study
Pathways to study
If you don't initially meet the entry requirements for degree study there is always another route and you may want to consider an HNC or access course.
Education, child and youth studies sector
- As a teacher, you really can change young people’s lives for the better. From promoting their creativity and improving their academic performance to sowing the seeds of life-long learning and developing their career aspirations. No wonder 68% of pupils remember the name of their favourite teacher.*
*Survey commissioned by the Scottish Government, in partnership with YouGov Sept 2019
Graduates progress into a variety of roles:
- Child development
- Education and teaching
- Research and development
- Youth development and mentoring
Why our students love UHI
Katie, child and youth studies graduate
I loved the journey that I shared with the friends I made from day one. That network of support continued all the way through my degree and was backed up by the lecturers and my personal tutor who have continued to be so supportive on my journey to becoming a nursery manager.
Katie studied the BA Child and Youth Studies at UHI Perth.
Nicole, moral and philosophical studies with religious education student
I didn’t consider anywhere else, as UHI was the only university I am aware of that offers this course. All the lecturers are supportive and they make their modules interesting. My degree has set me up perfectly to become a secondary teacher.
Nicole is studying BA (Hons) Moral and Philosophical Studies with Religious Education at Highland Theological College UHI.