Enhancement-led Institutional Review (ELIR)
Enhancement-led Institutional Review (ELIR) is an externalreview of the university’s approach to improving the student learning experience. All universities in Scotland are reviewed by the Quality Assurance Agency Scotland (QAA Scotland) on a four year cycle.
We currently preparing for our next ELIR which will happen in 2021.
Watch a message about ELIR from the HISA VP for Higher Education here
Why is ELIR important?
- It helps us improve what we do, and how we do it.
- It has a direct impact on our reputation – regional, national and international.
- It leads to a published judgement on the quality and academic standards of the university’s higher education provision.
What does ELIR involve?
The university submits a self-evaluation report (called the Reflective Analysis) and supporting evidence to QAA. An external panel then visits to explore themes arising from the Reflective Analysis with groups of staff and students. The panel reach an overarching judgement, and produce a report outlining areas of good practice, and areas for development.
When will ELIR happen?
We are currently drafting the Reflective Analysis, to be submitted in Summer 2021. The panel visits will happen in Autumn 2021.
How can I get involved?
- You will contribute indirectly through normal student feedback channels, such as surveys, and via your class reps into course committees or other local structures. This type of student feedback will form part of the evidence base for the Reflective Analysis.
- Class reps can also feed in your views to HISA, through events such as the SPA Loop Conference and HISA Con.
- All students will be invited to comment and feedback on the draft Reflective Analysis during Semester 2.
- Some groups of students will be invited to meet with the panel, but we won’t know who until October 2021.
How far have we travelled since our last ELIR in 2016?
You can review our university Reflective Analysis 2016 . The QAA outcome reports are published on the QAA website. These provide a great starting point for the reflective process – so much has changed!
Where can I find out more?
Contact your class rep or HISA , Jacki Graham, Quality Monitoring Officer email@example.com, or the Student Engagement Team firstname.lastname@example.org.