The Academic Standards and Quality Regulations have been developed to fulfil the regulatory requirements of the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) and are consistent with the Memorandum and Articles of the university.
The regulations cover all undergraduate and postgraduate students and originally were ratified by Network Academic Council (NAC) in October 1997. Since then, the regulations have been subject to regular amendments and additions. The regulations included here are listed with a note of the dates of approval.
Sections of the regulations are reviewed as needed by the Regulations Working Group, and ratified by Academic Council, in order that all of the appropriate regulatory requirements are developed and implemented in accordance with the requirements of Higher Education agencies, such as QAA Scotland and the Scottish Funding Council, and also in line with changes to the university’s academic structures and curriculum.
Since February 2011, all taught degrees have been awarded by University of the Highlands and Islands, as distinct from UHI Millennium Institute, which was the institutional name prior to the achievement of university title.
The university achieved research degree awarding powers in June 2017. Academic Council approved relevant regulations in December 2016, which will be applicable from 2017-18 onwards for all students registered for research awards made by the university, and for the management and standards of research programmes and awards.
Students who are registered for a research award with the University of Aberdeen under the accreditation agreement will continue to be subject to the regulatory framework of that agreement.
The university changed its curriculum structure for all taught degree programmes (undergraduate and postgraduate) from a framework of 15-credit point modules to one of 20-credit point modules in 2012-13. All programmes commenced delivery on the 20-credit point framework in 2012-13.
All new and amended student-specific regulations were approved by Academic Council in March. Changes to quality processes were approved by Academic Council in June.
The electronic version of Academic Standards and Quality Regulations, along with all appendices, Additional guidance notes and supporting materials, can be accessed through the website (www.uhi.ac.uk/regulations) and should be taken as the definitive version at all times.
For any comments or questions regarding these regulations, please contact:
tel: 01463 279228
Copies of this publication in Braille, large print, audio CD and CD-ROM formats are also available from Tara Black.
These regulations are for the academic year 2017-18 and supersede all previously issued regulations.
- Section 1 Academic standards and quality policy
- Section 2 Quality assurance
- Section 3 Academic committees (academic committee structure)
- Section 4 Subject review and student support service review
- Section 5 Annual quality monitoring
- Section 6 framework for curriculum development
- Section 7 Programme development
- Section 8 Programme approval
- Section 9 Responsibilities of academic partners in respect of academic provision
- Section 10a Changes to academic provision - programme modification
- Section 10b Changes to academic provision - closure and withdrawal from provision
- Section 11 Academic leadership: subject networks
- Section 12 Academic leadership - degree programmes and modules
- Section 13 Collaborative provision
- Section 14a Taught postgraduate regulations
- Section 14b Postgradaute research degree regulations
- Section 15 Appointment and role of external examiners
- Section 16 Admissions and enrolment
- Section 17a Assessment regulations (SQA and other awarding bodies) 2017-18 V2
- Section 17b Assessment and progression regulations (degree programmes)
- Section 18 Assessment appeals procedure
- Section 19 Academic misconduct policy and procedure
Download Academic standards and quality regulations 2017-18 V3 as one document.
Academic proformas referenced in the Academic standards and quality regulations.
- Academic development, approval, review and modification
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) resources for staff, RPL and credit transfer guide, RPL claim form
- Complaints handling procedure
- Assessment coversheet SQA
- Assessment coversheet undergraduate
- Assessment coversheet postgraduate
- Exemplar English examination front cover
- Exemplar Gaelic degree assessment front cover
- Exemplar Gaelic examination front cover
- Quality monitoring, subject review and student support service review
- AP1 - SQA approval (initial UHI approval)
- AP2 - SQA approval (quality assurance criteria)
- AP3 - SQA approval (individual unit)
- AP4 - SQA approval (approval report)
- Internal Verification process, forms and guidance
- ML01 - expression of interest
- ML02 - contested module application
- ML03 - statement and guidance for line managers
- ML04 selection panel assessment template
- Flow chart for current module leadership process
- Module Leader - role descriptor
- Personal Academic Tutor - role descriptor
- Programme Leader - role descriptor
- Mitigating circumstances request (electronic form on UHI records staff and student hub)
- Withdrawal / transfer request (electronic form on UHI records staff)