Setting up your UHI account
First things first...
Welcome to UHI! The guide below will help you log in for the first time and set up your UHI account.
When you join us at UHI, we will issue you with a username. We refer to this as your student or staff ID and it is usually in a format ending ‘@uhi.ac.uk’. We will also give you a temporary password.
Your security is important to us...
The first step is to set up Multi Factor Authentication (MFA). This is needed to keep everyone at UHI safe whilst using our systems. You will be asked to authenticate every time you log in off campus.
We recommend using the Microsoft Authenticator App, as this is the most reliable method for accessing your account. Alternatively, it is possible to set up a text or call instead of this, but as they rely on mobile signal they can take some time getting through, especially in more rural areas.
You can link to the app by scanning the QR codes (on the right-hand side) or by clicking the link above.
You can also download the guide via: Setting up your account
Please note: These QR codes are for downloading the Microsoft Authenticator App only.
Initial log in...
Please make sure you have these things ready:
- Microsoft Authenticator app (if you decided to use it)
- Your Student or Staff ID
- Your temporary password
You will then be asked to set up your MFA.
If you have chosen to use the app, follow the instructions as they appear.
If you have decided to use either text or a call, select ‘I want to set up a different method’ at the bottom left of the box on screen (as shown below). Then follow the instructions as they appear.
Please note, you cannot use an email as a form of authentication method. This is only available for your password recovery, which we will come to shortly.
Password recovery will allow you to reset your password if you ever forget it. Keep a look out for the 'Forgotten my password' link when signing in.
If you are unsure if you are seeing the correct screens, they should look something like this:
Once you have reached the QR code, open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device. Then follow these steps.
- You should see an option to set up an account, you will want to choose, work or school account
- If you are not presented with a prompt to set up your first account, select the '+' sign at the top
- You will then be shown a new prompt, select 'Scan a QR code'
- Use your mobile device to then scan the QR code that is presented to you on screen
- Once this has been successful, you will be presented with a notification on your mobile device
Once you have set up your MFA method, you will then be asked to change your password. When you do this, please take note of the following criteria:
- Your password MUST be at least 8 characters long
- Your password MUST have at least 1 upper case letter
- Your password MUST have at least 1 lower case letter
- Your password MUST have at least 1 number