Prof Jane Downes
Director of the UHI Archaeology Institute
After graduating with BA Hons in Ancient History and Archaeology from Manchester University Jane worked for several years with the Fenland Archaeological Trust on the waterlogged prehistoric sites of Etton and Flag Fen.
She then moved to Glasgow University where she worked as a Research Assistant, and then as a Project Officer and Project Manager for GUARD. Transferring to Sheffield University in 1995 she took the post of Assistant Director of ARCUS and continued fieldwork in Orkney as well as working elsewhere in UK. In 1999 Jane took up post as Lecturer at Orkney College, UHI, where she set up the MA/PgDip in Archaeological Practice. Jane’s PhD in ‘Bronze Age Cremation Practices in Orkney’ was awarded by Sheffield University.
Jane has research interests in burial archaeology, particularly cremation, and in prehistoric and landscape archaeology. She also has research interests in the management and sustainable development of landscape and cultural heritage resources, and has involvement in the research of several World Heritage Sites in connection with this.
- Mine Howe, Orkney (Co-director with Nick Card ORCA).
- Orkney Barrows.
- Knowes of Trotty.
- Ring of Brodgar, Orkney WHS (Co-director with Dr Colin Richards UHI Archaeology Institute).
- Wilder Being
- Cata Sand
- Contributions to 'UNESCO World Heritage and Tourism in a Changing Climate' report
- Ara Metua, Rarotonga
- Aitutaki Sites and Monuments, Cook Islands
- Rapa Nui Landscapes of Construction
The Rapa Nui research was featured in a New York Times article and a podcast of an interview with Professor Jane Downes on Canadian CDC Radio is available for download. Jane was also interviewed by Yale Climate Connections. A podcast is available for download.
External responsibilities and memberships
- Member of the Institute for Archaeologists (MIFA).
- Link to video showing Historic Environment Scotland, Professor Jane Downes and Nick Card discussing archaeology in Orkney during a visit by the HES board
- Tel: 01856 569320
- Email Jane